Studio Liverpool - redondances de personnel

Partagez
    blackwiggle
    Venom
    Venom

100 %

Studio Liverpool - redondances de personnel

Message par blackwiggle le Jeu 28 Jan - 12:48

Le Fox de Rob du Wipeoutzone a juste signalé ceci aux emplacements ouvrant la page.

Sony Computer Entertainment is poised to announce sweeping redundancies at Studio Liverpool on Friday the 29th of January 2010, with the obvious casualties being from the team that created the recently completed the WipEout HD and Fury titles.

What does this mean for the WipEout franchise long term?

Only time will tell - although it's clear that the flagship series was being mothballed for a while anyway, after a relative glut of titles since 2005's WipEout Pure.

WipEoutZone extends best wishes to everyone affected by this corporate cost-cutting maneuver.
    Darkdrium
    Sub-Phantom
    Sub-Phantom

100 %

Re: Studio Liverpool - redondances de personnel

Message par Darkdrium le Jeu 28 Jan - 19:19

Anyways, I have a feeling we won't be seeing anything new coming to WipEout HD anytime soon. This patch looks like a killer shot to me. They didn't fix any bugs at all and added the most annoying thing that everyone complained about back in... Does not compute.

I told you so.
    blackwiggle
    Venom
    Venom

100 %

Message par blackwiggle le Jeu 28 Jan - 19:32

Apparently SL is being absorbed by another Sony owned gaming studio based in the same area.

All projects have ceased development as of yesterday.
    You can read more info at the link below.

Well Colin Berry has said he left SL before Xmas and has started another job,so I guess that's one we don't have to worry about,but then again he hadn't worked on wipeout since HD was released.

According to somebody in the link below SL was in the process of making a new wipeout.

There's a post on that NeoGAF site #26 by gofreak http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386088
    about this whole affair that I though puts this whole thing in a logical perspective.

QUOTE :
    When did this happen? And more importantly: why?

Geographic proximity and compentency overlap and the cost cutting that allows. Probably.

Originally Posted by I NEED SCISSORS:
    Why are redundancies necessary? You would think that more people on board = better games, no?

From the sounds of it, they need more people on other projects elsewhere, but they don't want to hire more people. Liverpool had the most 'fat', so they want to move some of it to where it's needed. In doing so, that'll require some work at Liverpool to be stopped (since - again - they don't wanna hire new people. There's probably something of a hiring freeze at the moment). If there isn't a place for everyone on the teams whose projects are being stopped, then they're redundant unfortunately. Maybe some of them might get reassigned to other internal projects at Liverpool, but if there isn't a place for them there or at another studio after their projects have been halted, then...that's kind of the definition of redundancy
    Edit/Delete Message
    Livitarium
    Moderateur
    Moderateur

100 %

Message par Livitarium le Jeu 28 Jan - 21:34

Very strange, it is a fusion with another team so?

I hope it not change the update of WHD. Or changing totaly the direction of wipeout hd and the next.

KIGO1987
    Sub-Flash
    Sub-Flash

Circuit(s) preferé(s) : Gare D'Europa, Moa Therma, Metropia Black, Vertica
    100 %

Message par KIGO1987 le Ven 29 Jan - 0:15

Well thats just fucked so to speak.

How long will the servers be up and running until we loose all ability to go online on Wipeout Pulse and WOHD since they are both on the same server?

Feb Avalon might be the one of the last Avalon for both reasons now... hopefully not. Just fucking upgraded to ADSL2+ too... real bitch.

Was good when it lasted though Smile....
    blackwiggle
    Venom
    Venom

100 %

Message par blackwiggle le Ven 29 Jan - 2:13

According to Rob,it was Mick Hocking from EVO that has basically dissolved Studio Liverpool.
    It doesn't exist anymore,basically the only person left is Matt Brooks - lead programmer
    Darkdrium
    Sub-Phantom
    Sub-Phantom

100 %

Message par Darkdrium le Ven 29 Jan - 4:35

When I posted that thread on WipEout Zone, I wanted to know what was going on with Studio Liverpool and WipEout as a franchise. I wanted to know if it was doing well enough so that a future was guaranteed. Since WipEout PurE in 2005, I have been playing every single variation of the franchise, and all of them have been great experiences. In 2007 I discovered WipEout Zone, and that I was not the only one enjoying this game for what it was: the pinnacle in anti-gravity racing games. Through WipEout Zone I made friends and went to see them in the USA, all that because of this single game. So I wanted to know how it was doing, if it was assured that we were going to have more of this great series.
    To see it executed in such a grim fashion saddens me greatly. Here dies the best game on the PS3. I don't know what will happen next, and I prefer not to think of it. I prefer to remember those memories I have of these five years I've been playing the games. WipEout will always have a place in my heart, and so do the people that made it in the first place. But I must say, I absolutely hate the people who take such decisions, and I hope they die in a fire and burn in hell for all eternity. I enjoyed Motorstorm too, but fuck them if it's actually them who did that.

KIGO1987
    Sub-Flash
    Sub-Flash

100 %

Message par KIGO1987 le Ven 29 Jan - 6:34

I remember back in 2005 at work when the Playstation Portable was released on September the 1st 2005, i was delighted to see Wipeout Pure. I honestly thought Wipeout was gone for good when Wipeout Fusion fucked up everything since 2001 on the Playstation2. Then Wipeout Pulse came out, which was even better, loved it, should of glued it into the UMD tray i was that hooked on it, always poped onto infrastructure mode here and there, had a good time. Then the PS3 release came out, did have a shitload of bugs in it, but with the custom music track feature in the game, you could never get sick of it, you could do hundreds of laps on Moa Therma playing out different beats. That was awesome too.

Really fucking retarded in a way that this has happen. Almost all great Playstation classics have gone to shit, been disolved over time, or just made into a real shit storm, Wipeout, Ridge Racer, Crash Bandicoot franchise, all gone now. Least there is Polyphony Digital Gran Turismo i guess, i swear to god if that game ever got discontinued on the Playstation console and transferred onto the Cuntbox fucking riddin shitheap Microsoft cunthead load of fucking errored blue screen fuckin bullshit products, someone would serious die.

I think i might go onto Pulse now, have a few laps around Vertica Smile
    RJ O'Connell
    Sub-Venom
    Sub-Venom

Circuit(s) preferé(s) : Altima VII (Original)
    100 %

Message par RJ O'Connell le Ven 29 Jan - 10:07

I don't want to rush to judgement when it comes to Evolution's role in this.

Mr. Hocking's decision to clean out SL could have been an order given to him from someone higher up in the company. Not to mention Ian Hetherington, who was an original founder of Psygnosis, also co-founded EVO and is their current chairman.

Not to mention we knew about this merger for a year now.

Regardless, I'll just copy/paste what I wrote on WZ:

"Obviously I was very sad to read the most recent bulletin, to say the least. I never thought I'd see the death of one of my favorite developer/publishers in video gaming soon after I turned 20, to be honest.

It's not just us Wipeout fans that are sad about this either. Think about all the other great creations and published works by Psygnosis. Formula 1, Lemmings, Shadow of the Beast, G-Police, Colony Wars, Rollcage, Destruction Derby, Novastorm, just to name a few...

It's partially the result of a bad economy in recent years, as other companies have been feeling the pinch. All of Midway was absorbed by Warner Brothers not too long ago. Atari has been hemorrhaging money for the past few years. I'm not as angry at Sony Computer Entertainment for this as some people are. Yes, it's absolutely sad that they've had to practically fire everyone to facilitate this merger that we've known about for a year. But Sony buying Psygnosis back in 1993 benefitted both companies - Psygnosis had a platform to publish and develop their best games to date, likewise, it was those games like Wipeout and Destruction Derby that compelled people to buy a PlayStation back in '95.

Let's not forget that there's still a key part of Studio Liverpool's history at Evolution Studios - Ian Hetherington, who founded both companies and is now chairman of the latter. (Personally, when this merge happens, I'd love to see the company be re-christened as Psygnosis.)

And as for the future of Wipeout...well, people said we'd never see another one after Wipeout Fusion. Right now, I've said it before - it's really early to speculate. The death of a developer does not usually equal the death of a series. In the end it all depends on who owns the rights to the series, but I do hope there is a future for the series, whether it's on the PS3, PC, Xbox, or wherever.

Psygnosis/SL, you may be gone, but you're never, ever forgotten."
    blackwiggle
    Venom
    Venom

100 %

Message par blackwiggle le Ven 29 Jan - 11:07

You say that Hocking could of been ordered from higher up to basically dissolve SL .
    That's my thinking as well.
    If a game doesn't sell well in the USA then the studio who produced it will be under scrutiny.
    Wipeout and other futuristic racers ,as SCEA has said before, do not sell well in the USA.

The game is brilliant,the management, and decisions made regarding the wipeout series as a whole were just plain wrong from the beginning.
    Not having another wipeout for the PS2 was the biggest mistake.
    Because of this decision of going from the PSP to the PS3 you had basically ended up with a whole generation of non PSP owners that had never heard of wipeoutor had forgotten about it.
    Then when you had SCEA not release the DLC for PULSE the writing was already beginning to appear on the wall.

Then HD comes out for the PS3

Due to the total lack of promotion by both SCEA & SCEE of wipeout HD,the big mistake of releasing it only as a download, then only releasing the disc version in PAL countries,couple that with the decision to lumber HD with the unenviable title of being the first PS3 game with "In game advertising" and all the flack it copped with the "State Farm" fiasco when the ad's appeared originally,then pulled due to slow loading times.

Lance at the wipeoutzone summed up the situation well.
    QUOTE:
    What a shame the SL employees have to suffer for the top execs incompetence. Sony execs brought on the need for desperate measures; make no mistake, reducing your staff at the primary production level iS desperate, and tends to be the first and cruelest reponse of a management team who are themselves the ones who should be eliminated. "Restructuring" is just an evasive public relations department spinword for an attempt by the execs to avoid deserved blame.
    kaori
    Administrateur
    Administrateur

Circuit(s) preferé(s) : Paris Hair
    100 %

Message par kaori le Sam 30 Jan - 9:42

Pour ceux qui souhaite lire et s'exprimer en français, 2 liens :

Le forum officiel Playstation : sujet, lâchez-vous Laughing
    La news en fançais : ultimate ps3

Suivre @kaori_714 sur twitter
    Mikado
    Fondateur de Wipeout Arena
    Fondateur de Wipeout Arena

Circuit(s) preferé(s) : Hi-Fumi (Wipeout 3), Blue Bridge (Wipeout Pure), Edgewinter (Wipeout Pulse)
    100 %

Message par Mikado le Sam 30 Jan - 11:28

kaori a écrit:Pour ceux qui souhaite lire et s'exprimer en français, 2 liens :

Le forum officiel Playstation : sujet, lâchez-vous Laughing
    La news en fançais : ultimate ps3

Euh... même si le sujet à commencer en anglais, je vois pas d'inconvénient à ceux qu'on s'exprime en français ici...

Pour ma pare :
    Ça m'étonne qu'a moitié ce qu'il se passe...
    Suivi de regarder, par exemple, ce qu'a fait EA en terme de licenciement confused

Y'a plus qu'a espérer que la série ne meurs pas à cause de connerie comme celle là , ça serai vraiment stupide, mais malheureusement, ça serait pas la première voir que ça arrive mmm

Wait and see ...

--------------------------------

That's half wonder what happens ...
    It followed to watch, for example, what EA has done in terms of dismissal.

There's more hope that the series does not die because of bullshit like that, it'll be really stupid, but unfortunately it would not be the first to see that happen.

Wait and see ...

Mikado - l'admin. toujours à votre écoute

KIGO1987
    Sub-Flash
    Sub-Flash

100 %

Message par KIGO1987 le Ven 5 Fév - 7:08

Was having a chat over the PSN to MrCrob about this, and how to express my opinion on how very extremely gay that what has happened with Studio Liverpool.

I guess the remnants of SL still might do joint projects with games like the Motorstorm franchise in the future.

Avait un chat sur le PSN pour MrCrob à ce sujet, et la façon d'exprimer mon opinion sur la façon très très gais, que ce qui s'est passé avec le Studio Liverpool.

Je suppose que les restes de SL pourrait encore faire des projets communs avec des jeux comme Motorstorm la franchise dans le futur.

Contenu sponsorisé

Message par Contenu sponsorisé

La date/heure actuelle est Lun 11 Déc - 2:22